Steven Scyphers, Ph.D.
Senior Marine Scientist
Associate Professor, University of South Alabama; Director, Center for Socio-Environmental Resiliency; Ph.D. 2012, University of South Alabama
Current Funded Projects
- Collaborative Modeling the Benefits,Consequences, and Trade-offs of Mangroves and Seawalls for Coastal Communities (NOAA Adaptation Sciences)
- Integrating the Functional Importance of Biodiversity in Management of US Marine Ecosystems (Lenfest Ocean Program)
- Extending our Reach: a Multi-State Collaborative Approach to Reef Fisheries Extension (Sea Grant)
- Greater Amberjack Abundance, Distribution, and Movement in U.S. Waters in the South Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico (Sea Grant)
- Building Capacity and Partnerships to Plan and Implement Coastal
- Resilience in the Florida Panhandle (NFWF Coastal Resilience)
- Evaluation of fishery-specific adaptive capacity to industry-perceived risks (North Pacific Research Board)
- Environment and Society
- Marine Resource Management
Aminpour, P., S.A. Gray, A. Singer, S.B. Scyphers, A.J. Jetter, R. Jordan, R. Murphy, and J.H. Grabowski. The diversity bonus in pooling local knowledge about complex problems. Proceedings of the National Academies of Sciences.
Furman, K., P. Aminpour, S.A. Gray, and S.B. Scyphers. Mental models for assessing social-ecological systems following disasters: a case study contextualizing natural and built shorelines after Hurricane Irma. Marine Policy.
Scyphers, S.B., J.M. Drymon, K.L. Furman, E. Conley, Y. Niwa, A. Jefferson, and G.W. Stunz. . Understanding and enhancing angler satisfaction with fisheries management: insights from the “Great Red Snapper Count”. North American Journal of Fisheries Management.
Scyphers SB, MW Beck, KL Furman, J Haner, A Keeler, C Landry, KL O’Donnell, BM Webb, JH Grabowski. . Designing effective incentives for living shorelines as a habitat conservation strategy along residential coasts. Conservation Letters 13(5), e12744.
Scyphers S.B., J.S. Picou, and J.H. Grabowski. Chronic social disruption following a systemic fishery failure. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 116(46): 22912–22914.
Scyphers, S.B., J.S. Picou, and S.P. Powers.. Participatory conservation of coastal habitats: the importance of understanding homeowner decision making to mitigate cascading shoreline degradation. Conservation Letters, doi: 10.1111/conl.12114.
Who We Are
Current Graduate Students
- Sarah Gibbs - Ph.D.
- Savannah Swinea - Ph.D. (Northeastern U)
- Evan Prasky - Ph.D. (Northeastern U)